Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:29:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "don't haveone" <hacked666@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Questions

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, don't haveone wrote:

>FreeBSD Programmers,
>  I am looking for a cross platform OS, but haven't really found what
>I'm looking for yet. I use both Win 98.2 and Linux Mandrake 6.0. I have
>been reading about the BSDs and was wondering if FreeBSD is a good
>desktop PC as well as a server. I have a Parrellel

Any software that runs on Linux, runs on FreeBSD. This includes
WordPerfect, Oracle, Mathematica, KDE, GNOME, and others.

Cross platform? Do you mean multiple hardware architectures? NetBSD or
OpetBSD support more types of CPU than FreeBSD.

FreeBSD runs on Intel, Alpha, and Sparc(beta-ish perhaps).

>Port Zip that Linux wont see, even when I try to force it to, will
>FreeBSD configure an external zip? That's really the only problem I have
>with Linux, other than the lack of any standard information for using
>Linux and Windows is just not as stable as I want.

>Any information that you think will help me in a decision in choosing
>FreeBSD will be of great help.

How about, "You have nothing to lose man. Go for it!"

>I am also looking for another OS that I might interest others in, I'm a
>computer repair technician. I have looked on Walnut Creek and know that
>FreeBSD is a lot cheaper than Windows and also very hard to crash.

I would recommend any kind of unix to anyone who complains about MS. If
they don't complain about MS, they aren't quite ripe for the pickin'. :)

>Also, does the Complete FreeBSD book that has the CDs with it, take a
>newbie from installation, through installing programs fom the internet?
>Sorry about the yahoo acount, but I'm about to change ISPs and don't
>know when it will take place.

FreeBSD has a new "Power Pack" or some thing. It comes with a book, the
OS, and a bunch of third party software for the price of Windows. I am
scrounging up my change for when the 3.3 version hits the street.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells