Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:57:37 -0400
From:      Kaj Telenar <ktelenar@etrue.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make nightmare

Hi,

I am having troubles using the make utility that comes with FreeBSD.

I am trying to put conditionals in the makefile - actually, I'm modifying a
bunch of makefiles that came from Windows. I get the following error:
	. . . Malformed Conditional: ("$(CFG)" == "Release")

from this line:
.if $(CFG) == "Release"

I tried it with the following variants:
.if $(CFG) == "Release"
.if ${CFG} == "Release"
.if ($(CFG) == "Release")
.if (${CFG} == "Release")
.if($(CFG) == "Release")
.if(${CFG} == "Release")

The man pages on make claim that '.if' is what I want to use. I tried using
'ifeq', but that appears to be just a GNU make thing.

Also:
2. Is there a way to display information without trying to build something?
i.e. 'echo' before the first target.
3. Is there a sample makefile that shows all (or most) of the makefile
options? Is there more documentation on this version of make?

Thank you for your help,

-Kaj Telenar

ktelenar@etrue.com
kaj@telenar.com