Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.ath.cx>
To:        Ruslan Sulemanov <amnesiac@2mcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re[4]: After cvsup, can't send mails

I've seen this error frequently with recent Sendmail versions.
I believe it relates to the fact that Sendmail no longer runs as root by
default, so permissions have to be adjusted accordingly.  There is some
information in the file /src/sendmail/SECURITY  in the sendmail source
tree, if I remember the path correctly.  From the above file:

[begin Sendmail doc excerpt...]

sendmail must be a set-group-ID (default group: smmsp, recommended
gid: 25) program to allow for queueing mail in a group-writable
directory.  Two .cf files are required:  sendmail.cf for the daemon
and submit.cf for the submission program.  The following permissions
should be used:

-r-xr-sr-x      root   smmsp    ... /PATH/TO/sendmail
drwxrwx---      smmsp  smmsp    ... /var/spool/clientmqueue
drwx------      root   wheel    ... /var/spool/mqueue
-r--r--r--      root   wheel    ... /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
-r--r--r--      root   wheel    ... /etc/mail/submit.cf

[Notice: On some OS "wheel" is not used but "bin" or "root" instead,
however, this is not important here.]

That is, the owner of sendmail is root, the group is smmsp, and
the binary is set-group-ID.  The client mail queue is owned by
smmsp with group smmsp and is group writable.  The client mail

[end Sendmail doc excerpt]

This was a nuisance for me and meant that I couldn't use the NetBSD
sendmail but had to rebuild sendmail from sources I got from sendmail.org
in order to get it working.  On FreeBSD my upgrade to 4.2.6 STABLE caused
my mailserver to fail.  I ended up setting up a different machine
[running NetBSD] to be my mail server.  Subsequent make worlds have
not fixed the problem.

Regards,

Glendon Gross