Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:36:29 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <cc@137.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Integrating the NetBSD PFIL hooks..

Chris Csanady wrote:

> What would it take for us to intergrate NetBSD's PFIL hooks?  It is
> hard to do much work in the current network stack with so much of
> the mess that currently exists.  At the very least, ip_input.c and
> ip_output.c would be much cleaner with this mechanism.
>
> I'm just wondering what needs to be done, and if it is possible.
> Ipfilter would already support this, but how about ipfw, dummynet,
> divert and such?  Would the authors of the respective code be
> willing to help out with the necessary changes?
>
> Chris Csanady

Certainly
though I haven't looked..
It certainly looks like it could use some cleaning.. It's suffering
from 'evolutionary changes'.

We at whistle have to take a lot of the blame.
We implemented 'divert' sockets after a suggestion from
one of the CSRG guys. (forget his name.. the Kieth that was
not a Bostic)

The divert functionality adds a lot of possibilities but it has its
tentacles all over the place.  The 'fwd' option of ipfw has a few
tentacles reaching as far as tcp_input.

The dummynet stuff I can't comment on so much..

julian