Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 15:54:01 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to interpret crash?

I'm loading some data into a postgres database and I keep
crashing/locking up my box.  I hooked up a serial console to try to
figure it out.  Here is what the console displayed.  What does this
mean?  Can it be hardware or is it most likely software?

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc0230fee
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0276ed8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0276ed8
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = none
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

fault virtual address   = 0x30
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc01f4830
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0276d04
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0276d0c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrupt mask          = bio
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 2h15m33s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...

A few days ago I noticed a "write timeout resetting device" on the ad1
disk.  Both IDE drives are on the same controller.

This is running FreeBSD 4.10-PRERELEASE #6: Wed May 26 13:23:05 EDT
2004, but was cvsup'd yesterday.  The CPU is an AMD Duron 850 with
1.5GB RAM.

What should I look to fix on this sytem?