Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:07:34 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013998054.8b593b@mired.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013925212.07e3f4@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About your operating  system

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> types:
> > > Indeed.  As a rule of thumb, most USB modems are Winmodems.
> > Most? I'm interested in what gives you that impression.
> All the USB modems I've seen work good enough with the Windows drivers that
> are shipped with the modem, but do not respond to AT commands.

That's a "can't tell" situation, as the AT commands are part of the
compatability mode. If the modem follows the spec but doesn't provide
those - after all, they *are* optional - then it won't work with the
-stable umodem driver.

There's a chicken and egg problem here. All of the FreeBSD userland
software expects a modem that looks like a serial device, not a couple
of USB endpoints. So there's no point in providing support for modems
that don't look like serial devices. But until that support appears,
there's no point in writing userland apps for doing this.

Until somebody decides to take the bull buy the horns, get the USB CDC
spec, and hack up a userland program so it will talk to the ugen
device to do things, nothing much will happen.

BTW, if anyone is really interested, I've got an external USB modem
that I know works with FreeBSD that I'm not using :-).

	<mike