Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2010 13:39:51 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Subject:   Re: perl qstn...

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 08:25:03AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Gary> #!/usr/bin/perl
> Gary> $argc = @ARGV;
> Gary> if (! $argc ) {
> Gary>         printf("No args; need filename.\n");
> Gary> }
> Gary> else {
> Gary>         printf("%s\n", @ARGV);
> Gary> }
>
> Even simpler:
>
>     if (@ARGV) {
>       print "No args\n";
>     } else {
>       print "arg is $ARGV[0]\n";
>     }
>
> If you're studying perl, you might want to join the very
> beginner-friendly mailing list, info at
> http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html, or start a conversation on
> perlmonks.org, also relatively beginner-friendly.
>
> And I'd recommend a couple of good books, but I might be seen as
> self-pimping. :)

	hey man, pimp away!  we'll all learn a few tricks.  ---i had
	to teach myself perl around '96 and bought a couple books,
	one with a floppy full of short programs.  After doing a
	find . -name "*" -exec head -15 {} \; | more thru the
	truckload of these nifties, i finally came across the "$argc"
	idea.

	there are around a dozen no-longer-throwaways that need the
	kind of no-arg tip just to make the scripts more user
	friendly.  even tho i'm the Only person who'll ever use them.

	---Maybe you can clue me in on this one: around a dozen years
	ago i somw found a recursive grep named tgrep online. to save
	tying, i renamed it "rgr". i can start anywhere and 'rgr pattern'
	--WITHOUT ANY ASTERISK-- will find any pattern and skip
	binary or tarballs or compressed files.  given this, rgr has
	become my favorite utility, but since it doesn't have All of grep's
	options, yes, it's tru e, there are times whrn i have to use
	the real thing.   i have searched for tgrep and cannot find a
	newer more complete version.  would you or anyone reading
	this know where an upgraded version is?

	Here is the Usage string:

	p4 13:07 <tao> [5524] rgr
	Usage: tgrep [-iredblLnf] regexp filepat ...
	       tgrep -h for help

	if not for trgep/rgr my shoulder would've fallen off and just
	laid on the floor; that's how much i use this script.  having
	the 'w' switch would be nice, so would the -N switch.

> But if you look at http://learn.perl.org/ you'll see a number of other
> resources, including free tutorials online.

	tx for the pointer;  i'll add it to my bookmarks.

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php