Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 1996 15:31:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
To:        "Tom W. Cutter" <twcutter@gushi.ns.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mrouted in 2.2-961006-SNAP ?

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Tom W. Cutter wrote:

Heres my mrouted conf, and netstat -m output.  this machine has had the
tunnel up for over a month at a time with no problems.

cat /etc/mrouted.conf
tunnel 206.151.66.4 204.70.74.77 metric 1 threshold 16 rate_limit 384
tunnel 206.151.66.4 204.183.152.4 metric 1 threshold 16 rate_limit 64

netstat -m
470 mbufs in use:
        208 mbufs allocated to data
        74 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        31 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        155 mbufs allocated to routing table entries
        2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
189/298 mbuf clusters in use
654 Kbytes allocated to network (66% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I can use vat, wb, sdr, etc on either that machine or the local net
without problems.

> I'm having problems with the getting mrouted 3.8  and the mbone tools
> like vat, vic and wb working without locking the system and rebooting.
>
> Running the the vat, vic, sdr ... without mrouted running works fine. The
> machine works as it should.  When starting mrouted and running any of the above
> except sdr, the system locks almost immediately without anything written
> to /var/log/messages or anything pertinent with mrouted -d 3.  I've setup
> the kernel to go into diagnostics mode on a kernel error.  This doesn't seem
> to happen. What does is the system will lock and in about 30 seconds reboot.
>
> The kernel config info:
> options         DDB_UNATTENDED
> options         KTRACE                  #kernel tracing
> options         DIAGNOSTIC
>
> options         "TCP_COMPAT_42"         #emulate 4.2BSD TCP bugs
> options         GATEWAY                 #internetwork gateway
> options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing
> options         TCPDEBUG
>
> The mrouted.conf looks like:
> phyint 130.118.107.53   disable
> tunnel 204.119.247.37 207.12.55.99 metric 1
> threshold 64 rate_limit 128
> pruning on
>

> netstat -m
> 201 mbufs in use:
>         9 mbufs allocated to data
>         2 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>         26 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
>         151 mbufs allocated to routing table entries
>         13 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
> 0/10 mbuf clusters in use
> 45 Kbytes allocated to network (55% in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
> The only clue I have is that it looks like the network buffers get used heavily
> when mrouted is started.  It gets to 75 % usage before the system locks and
> further diagnostics aren't possible.  What are users of mrouted using to get
> it to work without locking the system on a mbone tool startup?  Thanks
> for your help.
> - Tom

Jamie Bowden

Network Administrator, TBI Ltd.