Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:29:52 -0600
From:      Rick Voland <rpvoland@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   math/atlas not detecting second CPU

math/atlas-3.6.0,1 fails during install ("unable to get timings in
tolerance") and I noticed that the FreeBSD port for ATLAS does not
detect my second CPU even though the original ATLAS program does detect
both my CPUs.  The latest fix to the port on March 30 at least allows
configuration to complete.

############ original ATLAS program
ATLAS can provide SMP support for the Level 3 BLAS via Posix
threads.
If you choose to build a threaded library, ATLAS will
compile all
aspects of the library (including the serial components)
with the
threaded compiler/link flags.  Most machines can use the serial
library even when it is compiled with threaded options, but this
is not guaranteed to work, so if you want a true serial library,
answer no to threading below.
    enable Posix threads support? [y]:
Number of CPUs: 2
############ end of piece from original ATLAS

################ FreeBSD port ATLAS 3.6.0,1
Probing for architecture:
Architecture is set to P5MMX

Probing for supported ISA extensions:
    AltiVec: NO.
    AltiVec: NO.
    SSE2: NO.
    SSE1: NO.
    3DNow2: NO.
    3DNow1: NO.
Number of CPUs: 1
############end of piece from FreeBSD port

$ uname -a
FreeBSD brian.local.bsd 4.9-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p3 #0: Thu
Mar 11 19:28:02 CST 2004
root@brian.local.bsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BRIAN  i386

architecture is P5_MMX          (2 x i586 MMX;  SMP)

$ diff BRIAN GENERIC
18c18
< # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.51.2.2 2003/03/25
23:35:15 jhb
  Exp $
---
 > # $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.54 2003/04/28
03:41:46 simokaw
a Exp $
21,22c21,22
< #cpu          I386_CPU
< #cpu          I486_CPU
---
 > cpu           I386_CPU
 > cpu           I486_CPU
24,25c24,25
< #cpu          I686_CPU
< ident         BRIAN
---
 > cpu           I686_CPU
 > ident         GENERIC
64,65c64,65
< options       SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
< options       APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
---
 > #options      SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
 > #options      APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
266a267,271

 > # FireWire support
 > device                firewire        # FireWire bus code
 > device                sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires
scbus and
  da)
 > device                fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire
(non-standard!)
$

--

rpvoland@spamcop.net