Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:21:29 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        thomas@hentschel.net
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv MPEG-audio encoding problems - mplex

thomas@hentschel.net:
 |got over that hump, now that the frame rate works I'm determined to
 |make the mpg encoding work. The video part works great, however the
 |audio part is still giving trouble. If I try encoding in mp3, the
 |following happens (on the console with -debug subproc) :
 |
 |::EXEC:: mplex test.mpg test.mp3 test.mps
 |***************************************************************
 |*               MPEG1/SYSTEMS      Multiplexer                *
 |*  Release  1.1   (06.06.95)                                  *
 |***************************************************************
 |
 |File test.mpg is a 11172-2 Video stream.
 |File test.mp3 is a 11172-3 Audio stream.
 |Scanning Audio stream for access units information.
 |Segmentation fault - core dumped
 |::STATUS:: 139
 |
 |Command Failed:
 |  mplex test.mpg test.mp3 test.mps
 |Conversion Aborted.

Ouch.  mplex bug.

 |What strikes me as odd is that 24.000 frames/sec -- I set it to 10
 |frames/sec in the dialog.

That's normal.  To create an MPEG-1 video stream, mpeg_encode requires the
input frames to be in one of a handful of acceptable frame rates.  So after
capturing at 10, Fxtv uses a simple-minded algorithm to adjust the frame
rate to a supported rate at or about the captured rate.

 |If I do encoding with mp2, the conversion finishes ok, but playing with
 |mtv or a ~doze player displays the video correctly, but the sound is just
 |a short *blop.

I usually use MP2.  From your experience, it looks like mplex doesn't
reliably support MP3.  I don't understand the short *blop.

 |When doing just audio recording, both mp2 and mp3 are ok, this makes me
 |think that the problem lies somewhere in mplex. I went thru the (somewhat
 |sparse) documentation of mplex, couldn't find anything useful....
 |any idea ??

Hmm.  I assume your MP2 plays just fine with mpg123 or your favorite MPEG
audio player?

Try these capture parameters and see what you get:

         Target: MPEG Ready
           Size: 320x240
      ImgCapFmt: IYUV
          Speed: 15fps
      ImgEncFmt: YUV
         AudFmt: 44KHz 16-bit stereo enabled
      AudEncFmt: MPEG-2
        Cleanup: Yes

It'll generate a .sh script (e.g. my-video.sh).  Run that script.
You can uncheck Cleanup to force it to leave the intermediate files around.

 |Thanks for all the help so far, hope I didn't hit the annoyance
 |threshold yet --

Ok, good.  Hope we can get you going.

Randall