Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 02:17:57 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        josb@cncdsl.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

* Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> [010219 02:12] wrote:

> PS: on a similar note, I think there should be a 10 second or so
> timer in inetd, and it should stat the inetd.conf file for changes,
> so we no longer have to put up with cached state until we HUP the
> thing.  I think "init" should have a similar thing for /etc/ttys;
> cached state data is inherently bad everywhere, not just in DNS
> servers.

You scare me, I was thinking just the same thing about mountd
earlier today.  Only problem is that it violates POLA(* heh), one
could offer an command line option to have it watch the file.

(*) tmpwatch

Another idea, instead of having to graft some interface and repeat
it over and over with inetd/mountd/init, one could even write a
program whos responsibility it was to sit in a poll()/kevent() look
watching these conf files and sending the appropriate signals to
them.  Of course it would monitor its own config file for changes.
:)