Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 02:00:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> 'questions' is gated to the news group by being sent to an alias
> 'news'
>
> all 'news' items have the following headder tacked on the FRONT of them
> before being gated to usenet:

> * purposes only. Replies to USENET on this topic will NOT be seen          *
> * by the original posters. to reply, send mail to:                         *
> * FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org                                            *
> * send mail to majordome@FreeBSD.org, stating 'help' for more information  *
>
> Note: this is a ONE WAY gate, that allows people to see the activity
> and makes it explicitly known what to do to respond..

The reply-to field can be set to the appropriate list too. That would
at least provide an easy way to contact us.

This is an interesting idea. It'll basically do what I'd like to see, which
is provide a more accurate impression of how active this project is in the
newsgroups and it also seems to solve all the drawbacks that people have so
far raised.

Hmm, if this was acceptable we could gate all the "general" mailing lists
to the newsgroups in this way. They'd look like the linux newsgroups then :-)

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/