Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:18:05 -0600
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu>
To:        "Allen Pulsifer" <pulsifer@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu
Subject:   Re: my own init scritps not running (dhcp setup)

I seem to have this most of the way there.
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP" in rc.conf did most of it--once I cvsuppped and
madeworld for 3.3 (I'd been at 3.2).  The only thing that isn't working
is the hostname--xauth seems to be aware of the name that its been
assigned, but HOST doesn't hold this, DISPLAY is merely :0.0, and
insufficient info gets passed through ssh to access the display  (for
example, "ssh localhost -ltoor" generates the messages

/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name ":10.0" in "add" command
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):2:  bad display name "/unix:10.0" in "add" command

I have to manually set  DISPLAY to include the hostname at the other
end, then cut & paste the cookie.

I used the new options in /stand/sysinstall to give the name eyry (the
system's old name) after telling it to use DHCP.  THis caused the
system to know who it was, but this specification of name causes
dhclient to fail.

rick

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.