Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:46:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Peter McGarvey <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache, PHP and OpenLink's ODBC Drivers.

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Peter McGarvey wrote:

> The SQL Server is version 6.5 running on NT 4.0.  My Webserver is
> Apache/1.3.6 with PHP/3.0.7 running on 3.2-STABLE.  Now, someone somewhere
> told me that the OpenLink ODBC Drivers were what I was looking for.  I've
> gotten the drivers working on the NT machine.  It's the FreeBSD bit that's
> causing me problems.
>
> I don't seem to be able to re-compile Apache with PHP with support for the
> OpenLink Driver.
>
> I downloaded the BSDI2 version of the OpenLink Driver and installed it....

I have done this on 2.2.7-R, with a lot of fiddling.  I used the Openlink
Multi-tier ODBC driver, which requires a companion "server" daemon on the
DBMS (Ingres 6.4) server.  If I remember correctly, I found oddities in
the Openlink support in the PHP Makefile, which I had to work around.

The BSDI v2.1 Openlink MT package comes with an a.out version of the
library, and I eventually just renamed this to libiodbc.a, and rebuilt
apache-php (I used the port)..

I'm not sure whether you should be using the BSDI v2.1 or BSDI v3 package
with 3.2-R.  You need to try and make sure that the libs you have are ELF
format - the ldd manpage might provide a useful starting point (I don't
have an ELF machine at home yet :-( ).

Have you installed the iODBC driver manager (don't remember if its a port,
but the source is available from Openlink's website)?  This might account
for the undefined references, which look like the standard ODBC API calls.

If you get the iODBC source, it includes a little test program which is
useful for testing the iODBC/ODBC driver installation, and can also be
used to perform rudimentary SQL queries.  I used this to find a
satisfactory linking arrangement for the ODBC libs, then transplanted that
back into the apache-php installation.

Hope these disorganised thoughts help a little...

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia