Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2006 18:08:02 +0000
From:      Matt Dawson <matt@mattsnetwork.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient in 6.0

On Saturday 04 February 2006 12:01, freebsd-stable-request@freebsd.org wrot=
e:
>  many aspects of the network interface configuration
> =A0 =A0process were overhauled.

Which, I suppose, explains the yo-yo effect of my two xe (4) PC Cards, amon=
gst=20
others, and why my wi (4) card no longer behaves itself.

Up-down-up-down-up-down...

I keep expecting it to either lose weight or make a mess in the slot <bg> O=
ne=20
is a Xircom RealPort, so it's not the "dongle", as is so often the case wit=
h=20
the CE3s. It works only if I force it to 10BaseT, half duplex, even manuall=
y=20
configured with ifconfig.

It's not all bad. ath and ndis cards behave themselves, as do my 3Com 905Bs=
=20
(if one discounts imp@'s PCI pointy hat of last week - there were many dead=
=20
rottweilers in my test machine at that point).

These are small prices to pay for 6.0's goodness. Without a doubt, 6.0 is t=
he=20
best release I have used, bar none, and the WiFi features that wpaul@, sam@=
=20
et. al. have worked so hard to give us are excellent. sos@ deserves a menti=
on=20
for the vastly improved ATA controller support list that nobody seems to=20
notice, too. FWIW, I did think the switch to OpenBSD's dhclient was poorly=
=20
thought out, since the ISC client did things like DDNS, which I needed. I=20
managed to work around the loss of these features, but it still feels like=
=20
I've an arm missing when configuring interfaces...
=2D-=20
Matt Dawson.

matt@mattsnetwork.co.uk
MTD15-RIPE OpenNIC M_D9