Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:58:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        rickl@ic.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cds disappeared

Rick Lotoczky wrote...
> Sorry, I'm really confused about who has the problem,
> but I *do know* my system isn't working properly.
> Also, it is different...I didn't know about the two
> drives until after I sent mail to you.
>
> Anyway...here goes-->
>
> On 04-Sep-99 Kenneth D. Merry said:
> > Rick Lotoczky wrote...
>
> ...my stuff deleted
>

> > It sounds like you've only got one CDROM drive in each
> > machine.
> >
> > Please send the output of the following, with mountable
> > media in the drive:
> >
> > camcontrol devlist -v
> <root:~># /sbin/camcontrol devlist -v
[ ... ]
> scbus1 on ncr0 bus 0:
> <HP C4324/C4325 1.27>              at scbus1 target 0 lun 0
> (pass6,cd0)
[ ... ]

> > camcontrol tur cd0 -v
> <root:~># /sbin/camcontrol tur cd0 -v
> Unit is not ready
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): Medium not present

You don't have a CD in your drive, or the drive doesn't think you do.
There's no way FreeBSD will be able to mount it if the drive doesn't think
it has media.

> > camcontrol inquiry cd0
> <root:~># /sbin/camcontrol inquiry cd0 -v
> pass6: <HP C4324/C4325 1.27> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
> (pass6:ncr0:0:0:0): Invalid field in CDB sks:c0,2 <-
> pass6: 3.300MB/s transfers                          |
> Looks like something is wrong here------------------

The only thing "wrong" is that your CDROM drive doesn't handle the serial
number inquiry.  Most don't, so it's nothing to worry about.

> the NCR driver compiles with warnings...

Don't worry about the compile warnings too much.

> > mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
>
> mount just hangs until a timeout and then gives:
>
> mount: Input/Output error
>
> Thanks for the help Ken. By the way, my machine is
> dual-boot with NT.  The CD works
> fine with the other OS.

It's hard to say what's wrong with your drive, although you do have one of
those HP/Philips WORM drives that's known to be a bit screwy.  If you boot
without media in it, it'll probably take a long time for the probe message
to show up, since the drive takes forever to return a read capacity command
when it has no media.

Just because the CD in question works fine with other OSes doesn't mean
that FreeBSD's cd9660 code can handle it.

If the test unit ready you issued above was done when there was media in
the drive (i.e. the CD in question), then you've likely got a hardware
problem of some sort.  That's because the drive is telling you that it
doesn't have any media.  There's nothing the OS can do to affect that
behavior, unless it's the result of some bizarre firmware bug that requires
commands to be sent in some non-standard order.

I doubt that's the case, though, since other people have identical drives
that function just fine.  If your drive is reporting medium not present
when a CD is in the drive, there's probably something wrong with it.  If it
does the same with every CD you stick in it, that just makes the results
more conclusive.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry