Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:44:13 +0300
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
Cc:        Lasse Laursen <laursen@netgroup.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Software raid 1 on root partition?

Hello, Jim C. Nasby!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:10:15AM -0500, you wrote:

> No, there is no support for software raid on the root partition. This is
> on the vinum wishlist, though, so hopefully it will happen at some
> point.
I don't think so, it seems that grog@FreeBSD.org forgot about vinum and
don't want to fix even known bugs (you can look at cvs logs via
cvsweb.freebsd.org). Sources haven't been updated for over 2 years
(those that are newer are only cosmetic changes). Also, Greg don't
accept any PRs on vinum, rejecting it with reason 'pilot error' or 'read
here'.

I hate vinum but I should use it (I have only IDE HDDs and no RAID, and
I should run disk-time-consuming cvsupd). For now I'm testing in lab
RAIDframe (http://people.freebsd.org/~scottl/rf/) which is port from
NetBSD's system software RAID. It looks much more stable than vinum,
have very good fool-proof features (unlike vinum). Reasonable error and
diagnostic messages, very simple configuration.

With vinum I've already had 3 unrecoverable crashes (on mirroring, which
is supposed to be 'safe-me' solution), and 5 kernel panics (yes, Greg, I
have vinum compiled as kernel module, not compiled in).

With RAIDframe I haven't experienced ANY problem at all for more than 2
month of extensive testing in lab. And yes, you can boot from RAIDframe
device.

I hope that GEOM will be avaliable in 5.0.

--
NEVE-RIPE
Ukrainian FreeBSD User Group