Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:26:32 -0700
From:      Tamiji Homma <thomma@BayNetworks.COM>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installworld and softupdates

Hi,

I have a machine whose / partition is 32MB and about 10MB
space left.  Softupdates is enabled on / as well as other
partitions.

The buildworld completes with a hitch. Then installworld always
fails when updating /sbin with / file system full.
After the failure, when I did df, I saw 9MB left.

Then I thought that softupdates was delay^H^H^H^H^Hoptimizing the
temporary file space reclaim which install -s (stripping) creates and
deletes very quickly during installworld.

It turned off softupdates and tried installworld.

Bingo!  It completed.

So be careful when your / is running out and do make world/installworld.

FYI.

Tammy