Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:54:18 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Urge to apply the vn device hack even to 2.2.5

On Tuesday, 21st October 1997, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

>Hey, I still have a 4MB 386/20 running 2.2-960612-SNAP in production
>as a firewall machine.  It works just fine, except for those pesky
>"sleep(5) after select" messages from telnet when it gets swapped out.

That's probably the copyout() page table problem that was fixed in 2.2-stable
on 1997/01/25 in revision 1.41.2.6 of sys/i386/i386/support.s.  Time for an
upgrade!

>Don't forget the little machines that do a lot of the dirty work.

Yeah.  Little FreeBSD boxes are all over the place here doing this and
that to support the major boxes.  On the other hand, 386 boxes are old
enough to toss in the bin.  The unloved discards that we resuscitate are
all 486DX33 and above now.  We even threw some of them away because we
ran out of room for them.  The remaining ones just work a bit harder. :-)

Stephen.