Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:05:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   rpc.rstatd :-)

Recently I discovered 'rup', which shows me the uptime and load of all
machines on my little lan, after I made sure rpc.statd was running
(through inetd) on all of them. Quite nice. I played around a little
with a small script to use 'rup' to display the uptime in my sig-file
(see below). Unlike uptime it leaves out the number of users in its
output, which I like.

Anyway, this script worked, so I put it into /etc/crontab and went to
bed. This morning I had very many messages in my mailbox from cron,
saying rup timed out... I don't know exactly what happened, but I
suppose I started rpc.statd manually in addition to it being run by
inetd. The size of it as reported by top was 257MB this morning... (I
have 256MB RAM). It was indeed not working. When I killed it, it
worked again. I suppose the inclusion of rpc.statd in a cronjob
combined with running it on its own made it grow and grow and grow.

Never do this, unless you like a lot of mail in the morning :-)

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  1:20pm  up   7 days,   7:02,  load average: 2.00 2.00 2.00