Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 2010 11:54:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless Access Point

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

From: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99@yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 1:45 PM

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman wrote:
> Now my new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server seems to be almost ready to take ove=
r for the D-Link router and my old FreeBSD server. I have two NIC's in this=
 server, an ethernet cable one (bge0) and the wireless NIC (ral0) or wlan0.
... =A0
> I can ping outside addresses from this new server but of course it's usin=
g the 10.0.0.0/24 segment which I knew would work. But even though the wire=
less clients can connect to the wirless NIC and be assigned an IP address a=
nd can ping the IP address of the server, both of them, =A0I cannot access =
the Internet from any of the wireless machines. I could use some advice on =
what to do to correct this.

Sounds like NAT is working for the internal wired interface, but not the wi=
reless interface.=A0 Check your firewall rules.

=A0
Thanks for your reply. The new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server is currently not r=
unning a firewall. I have that taken care of with the other FreeBSD router =
10.0.0.253.
=A0
In this other router I do have IPFW running and have assigned natd_interfac=
e=3D"rl0". My new server is doing a make buildworld right now so I can't te=
st this right away, but it sounds like I need to add natd_interface=3D"wlan=
0" in the /etc/rc.conf file. Is there a way to add this to the setup withou=
t editing /etc/rc.conf and restarting the system? Otherwise I have to wait =
until the make buildworld is over. This is a very fast machine so it should=
n't be long.=0A=0A=0A