Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:25:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorry.

Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Nicole [Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 11:13:52PM -0700]:
> >  Personally I would love to see FreeBSD divide into Server/Workstation versions
> > which would also then, create the techie/friendly different fronts along with
> > it. Such as your aim is to provide.
>
> And what would you include in "Workstation" distribution? You already have
> enough meta-packages to make installing graphics environments a piece of
> cake. Do you have enough time (and webspace) to host such newbie-ISO
> project? I am sure everyone will appreciate that.

IMO: it doesn't matter what gets included.

The Official Party Line(tm) is that FreeBSD is a server OS, so
no matter what you put into it, The Keepers Of The Official
Party Line are going to squawk that you can't use the trademark
if you don't distribute "Disc 1" exactly as distributed by the
FreeBSD We Are Not A Workstation OS, We Are A Server OS people,
thus crippling your ability to do what you want to do usefully
or effectively.

Basically, it comes down to how willing you are to grind up a
sacred cow or two to make hamburger.  If you're willing to put
in more energy to do it than they're willing to put in to stop
you from doing it, you'll succeed.

Maybe you can get Bob Bruce to preapprove your use of the
trademark so they can't do anything legally.

If he won't, well, there's always DragonflyBSD (renaming things
does wonders for clearing up trademark issues)...

-- Terry