Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:57:12 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck_y_enable: suboptimal/odd?

System: stable/7 some time before New Year (sorry if this issue has
already been acted upon).

I have a system with perhaps sufficiently rare configuration:
it has fsck_y_enable="YES" and it has multiple filesystems mounted
(UFS2), some RW, some RO.

Today I had a chance to see fsck_y_enable in action.
After a hard-lock followed by a reset normal fsck process started,
several filesystems had "expected" inconsistencies and were successfully
repaired, and then one filesystem had an unexpected inconsistency
(partially truncated inode it was). After that normal fsck process was
aborted and "fsck_y" process started.
To much of my surprise it started all over - the filesystems that had
been just successfully checked were being checked again. Even more -
filesystems that had been mounted RO before the reset were also being
checked.

To me it seems like fsck_y passes suboptimal flags to fsck, it doesn't
have to examine each and every filesystem in fstab.

--
Andriy Gapon