Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 00:38:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charlie Root <root@pcp01841287pcs.owngsm01.md.comcast.net>
To:        undisclosed-recipients: ;

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Olsen <ericg@chartertn.net>
To: Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>; Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc: Bri <brian@ukip.com>; <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>;
<freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

> On 4 Aug 2002 at 18:12, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > > Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:17:17 -0700
> > > From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

> > > Use the same exact NIC.
> > >
> > > Often, once the cable company sees a MAC address, it filters all
> > > other MAC addresses from getting a lease from your wire.
> > >
> > > The intent of this is to prevent people grabbing more than one
> > > lease simultaneously, or running more than one machine at a time.
> > >
> > > Ask Julian Elisher.  He had exactly this problem with a machine
> > > in San Francisco, 2 years ago.
> > >
> > > Note: If you ask, he will say "Yes, I had exactly this problem";
> > > he won't tell you anything you can do about it, except "Use the
> > > same exact NIC", because that's really the only fix.
> >
> > I have found that the problem is fixed by re-starting the cable modem
> > when a different NIC is inserted. The problem was not with DHCP, but
> > with the cable modem's forwarding table.
> >
> > My experience was with the old Motorola CyberSurfer modem used by
> > @Home in its early days. Not sure that this applies to other or newer
> > cable modems.
> >
> Sometimes the only way is to have the new machine spoof the MAC address of
the old
> machine's NIC.
>
> ifconfig dc0 ether 00:01:02:03:04:05
>
> but you gotta be careful not to end up with two machines with the same MAC
address
> hanging around..
>
> Eric
Hi there,

Im running Comcast Cable , using the SurfBoard cable modem that Comcast
provided. This used to be @Home.

I swapped the cable modem between the 2 nics in my 4-6 stable machine many
times.

I beleive it has already been mentioned, but the only way , and easiest way,
is to

remove the dhclient lease file
unplug the cable modem power source
unplug the cable from the modem
config the nics and firewall as you intend to hook them up
shutdown -r (power off) the bsd machine
plug the cable back into the modem
plug the power source back into the modem
wait until the modem is online
boot up the bsd machine

one of my nics acts as a dhclient, the other acts as a dhcp server.

hope this helps

Vince