Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 1997 07:38:04 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good results with Wincast/TVdbx

Amancio Hasty:
 |I forgot to mentioned that the driver does not wash windows nor does it
 |control the weather 8)

What!?  But I thought.... Aawwhh, Nuts.  ;-)

 |>         And color conversion + a capturecard-videocard single DMA transfer
 |>         per frame would be a real peach.  The '95 Wincast TV program does
 |>         this I believe (great framerate, no artifacts, and low CPU!).
 |
 |	  Nope the Win95 client , does capturing okay, it does retry
 |	  very well 8) And the output to the display is slow slow and slow.
 |	  the capture utility probably just uses the cap class to grab
 |	  the frame then uses GDI or DIB both are slow .
 |
 |	  Your frame rate will go way up once you get a decent or
 |	  well supported vga card for sure you will leave Win95 in the dust.
 |	  Well, at least thats the case over here .
 |
 |	  Bettina: Why is the video display so slow?
 |	  Amancio: Sorry babe, I am running Win95 . 8)
 |	  Bettina: Oh, Okay it is much faster on FreeBSD...

     I believe you misunderstood me.  I'm no Win95 fan (quite the
opposite).  I'm in FreeBSD 99% of my home PC time, and before trying out
the Wincast card, the only use '95 has had for me is playing good '95-only
games.  I'm hoping to go back to the 99% once I figure out how to get all
video preview and image/video capture stuff in place that I'd like.
Thanks to your driver, alot of this is already in place.

     Based on first-hand experience though, the Hauppauge/Hercules '95
directx drivers are blazingly fast, don't load the CPU, and all without
producing any artifacts.  If one can believe the info on Hauppauge's web
site, they do DMA transfer straight to the video board's linear aperture
from the capture board.  That would explain why the frame rate clips along
so well in 8- and 16-bit modes @ 640x480 alike.  However, I haven't looked
at the Bt848 docs yet and you have, so perhaps Hauppauge is just feeding
potential customers a line.

     BTW, I actually do consider that I have a decent and well-supported
VGA card.  Its still one of the fastest pixel-blasters around (used to be
the fastest), and Hercules makes solid products and has very good tech
support.

     However, I've about outgrown my Stingray 64/Video's 2Meg.  This of
course doesn't allow me to do a larger-than 1024x768 virtual desktop in
direct-color modes which I find myself wanting more and more (particularly
now that I have the Wincast working in XFree).

 |	I would go with an S3 968 with 4MB of VRAM for video stuff and
 |	FreeBSD stuff. There are naturally other choices if you don't
 |	care about FreeBSD like an S3 Virge with VRAM support not
 |	the one with DRAM.

    Thanks for the recommendation.  Not having read-up on the S3 968 scene
yet, what do you mean about the S3 Virge not being a good pick for use
under FreeBSD?  Is their card buggy or slow?

Thanks,

Randall