Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:31:51 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release Schedule for 2006

--nextPart1230720.IYfKCduUZR

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:32, Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> I don't know his exact problems either, but I could name you a few
> examples that currently reduce the fun of using FreeBSD:

If you're going to do this, please write a GOOD bug report. Yes it is more=
=20
time consuming, but your actually likely to get the problem fixed.

> - The sound sytem is broken in FreeBSD in all 5.x and 6 versions, and I
>   would like to listen to a few mp3-files from time to time.

This is a non bug report. Sound works perfectly on the various pieces of=20
hardware I have (snd_vt8233, snd_ich, snd_t4dwave).

> - To my surprise it's almost impossible to use the parallel port with
>   interrupts ("interrupt storms"), polling mode works...

This is a fixable side effect of the interrupt storm detector being=20
implemented.
Arguably the default limit should be bumped up, but I don't know what the c=
ons=20
are. In your case you can do..
sysctl hw.intr_storm_threshold=3D50000
and all should be well again.

> - wlan is broken, my Thinkpad keeps losing WPA-PSK connection very often
>   (probably kern/88793).

"Works for me" (tm). Although I have an ath card. Perhaps you should take i=
t=20
up with the ipw(4) driver maintainer?

> - Keeping the system and the ports up to date gets more and more time
>   consuming and risky (especially when compared to an "apt-get update &&
>   apt-get upgrade"). For example, the last devel/pear update in the
>   ports crashed my PHP installations on 2 development machines (still no
>   clue how to fix this).

Bit of a hammer, but you could try rebuilding php..

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum