Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:57:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert <robert@namodn.com>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more PPP help

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, alissa bader wrote:

> hey there, I'm still having problems with setting up PPP on my FreeBSD
> 2.2.7 box.  I followed the instructions in the FreeBSD online handbook to
> the best of my abilities and still can't get it to go.  Well, I can get
> the terminal mode working, at least to the point where I can manually
> connect to my ISP, but I can't get the "dial provider" script to work at
> all.  Oh yah, even after I manually login and connect and everything,
> something clearly is not working, because I can't get netscape to get to
> home. netscape.com

Did you put your nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Also, try to ping a working IP address, like
ping 207.33.107.203
then you can isolate whether it's a name server prob or not..

> here are the contents of my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file:
>
> default:
>   set device /dev/cuaa1
>   set speed 115200
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
> OK-AT-OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> provider:
>   set phone "isp phone # here"
>   set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \"\" gin:--gin: mylogin  word: mypassword"
>   set timeout 0
>   set if addrr 208.231.64.144 204.215.84.1 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
>   add default 204.215.84.1
>   enable dns

I don't think you need dns in there..

Hmm, on the "set phone" line, I don't use quotes; it looks like this :

set phone 555-1212

(OK, so it's not really 555-1212, you don't expect me to put the real #,
do you ? :)

You are starting ppp with

ppp provider

then typing "dial" on the prompt, right? :)

> FWIW, I took this file pretty much verbaitim from the FreeBSD handbook ppp
> setup pages.  OTOH, I've never written a unix shell script in my life, so
> no, of course I don't know what I'm doing.

Well, just so you don't get confused, shell scripts are based on the
language built into the command-line shells, usually /bin/sh

A shell script will typically look like this

#!/bin/sh
if [ $USER = "robert" ] ; then
echo Hello.
fi

You can use environment variables to control the flow of the program ( in
much more useful ways than I just demonstrated :) ) and there's a certain
amount of standardization involved.

The ppp.conf is more what would call a "config file", and is setup in a
way that the author of the program thinks makes sense :)

-rob
( www.namodn.com )
( robert@namodn.com )