Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 19:54:24 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolving DNS setup

Mark Drayton wrote:

> Hi
>
> Recently I set up a caching only nameserver at work which all our office
> machines, servers and dialup customers use for resolution instead of our
> two authoritative nameservers. A few days ago our internet connection
> went down, meaning that the caching nameserver couldn't get to the root
> nameservers and therefore couldn't resolve anything it didn't have
> cached. As it couldn't get to the root servers it also couldn't answer
> any queries for zones that we are authoritative for (even though the
> authoritative namesevers are on the same network).
>
> The end result of this was that customers who dialled into us couldn't
> see our site or pick up their mail as the caching nameserver wouldn't
> resolve the hostnames of the web/mail servers.
>
> Obviously this is a Bad Thing and I'd like to sort it out, especially
> as I'm going to add another caching nameserver in the near future. What
> would be the best way of fixing this? My thoughts so far are:
>
> a) make the caching nameserver a slave for all the domains held on our
> authoritative nameservers

	This is the best solution for your problem.

> Another problem with the caching nameserver is it's very slow to pick up
> *new* RRs on our authoritative servers (I know I need to wait for the
> TTL to expire on changed records). Will the caching nameserver wait for
> the TTL of the zone to expire before it asks the authoritative servers,
> *even when it has no cached answer to the query*?

	I think you're confusing a couple of concepts here. But, if I understand
what you're saying correctly, the problem will be solved by making your
resolving nameservers slaves for your zones.

	BTW, you should really have sent this to -questions.

HTH,

Doug
--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?