Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:18:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <Greg.Lehey@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        LinuxSA <linuxsa@linuxsa.org.au>
Subject:   Re: What mouse? (was: Samsung Cordless Mouse)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 17 August 2004 at 11:13:17 -0500, Sean Farley wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>>
>>> This mouse has five buttons: the normal three on top, and one on
>>> each side.  I can't find a way to get the side buttons to work, and
>>> looking on the web hasn't shown anything of interest.
>>
>> I assume you mean in X as opposed to moused although moused appears
>> to support at least five buttons according to its man page.
>
> No, this is with moused.  It still needs to initialize the mouse.

Will you be using moused on the console?  It is not needed to run X.

<snip>

> Can anybody recommend a good mouse?  My criteria are:
>
> - Middle button easy to use.  The current crop of mice has the middle
>  button integrated with the roller, and that makes the middle button
>  either heavy or easy to confuse with the roller.

I am not aware of any makers of three-button mice without wheels.
However, I have always Logitech as a brand.

> - Preferably cordless.  Cord mice tend to wander a little when you let
>  go of them, and that's a real nuisance on a high-resolution display.

Maybe you can find a cord-to-cordless converter--there is bound to be an
engineer that has done this :)--if you find a mouse you like that just
happens to have a tail.

Sean
sean-freebsd@farley.org