Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:02:42 -0700
From:      "Tetsuya Watanabe" <tetsuya1@prodigy.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   installation problem: pnp modem and netscape

Hello,

FreeBSD 3.2R was installed on my pc today. I am still configuring  kernel.
Would you please answer the following questions? Thank you in advance.

Questions:
1) I rewrite kernel config file and installed without any problem except one
thing.  As www.freebsd.org/faq/faq77.html suggests, I added the vendor
name-id combinations for a 3com pnp modem and a SB16(CT2980)pnp cards. Then,
"device pcm ..." line was added to new kernel config file. Make install was
successful. Now, SB16 has been  recognized and initialized at the bootup.
However, I can't seem to find out the boot-time configuration script. Is
this a shell script on your home directory? I like to add "pnp ..." config
line to it.

2) Netscape tells something like it cannot load ld.so. Does the following
method remove the problem?

from 3.2 errata:
"The compat20 and compat21 distributions install themselves into
/usr/lib/compat.  The compat20/compat21 distributions are a.out libraries,
thus they should live in /usr/lib/compat/aout to match ..."

3) The other day, someone in freebsd.misc newsgroup was saying that the ide
bus perfomance could be improved if tweaked. How could it be done?

Tetsuya