Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 22:49:03 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need GENERIC driver, boot floppy doesn't have it

On Mar 8, 10:18, Gary Hanson wrote:
} Subject: Need GENERIC driver, boot floppy doesn't have it
} Problem: The NCR SCSI driver (ncr0) isn't included in the boot.flp file,
} either on 2.1-RELEASE or the 960303 snap. It's included in the GENERIC
} kernel, but not the boot floppy. Is this a bug or a feature?
}
} Attempted workaround: Since I needed the ncr driver, I built a kernel
} including it on another machine (that doesn't have a ncr board.) I
} mounted the boot floppy (mount, not mount -t msdos) and saw a single
} file, kernel. Fine, the new kernel was smaller than the original, so
} I blew away the original and copied the new kernel to the boot
} floppy. The kernel loads, but does a panic: no init, so obviously
} there's some magic I haven't yet figured out. I searched the archives
} about custom boot floppies, but didn't find any useful info. Does
} anyone have any suggestions?

There is LOTS of magic in those boot floppies :)
And there is no easy way to build one yourself.

I don't understand why the NCR driver could be
missing from the boot floppy. And I think I
remember people using it without problems ...

Could you please send more detailed information:

Boot with -v and look for all PCI bus probe
messages. Even if there was no driver for the
NCR, it would be detected and at least the
vendor name would be correctly decoded ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160