Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:19:49 -0500
From:      Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
To:        Robert <robert@mhi-tx.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump

At 4:44 PM -0500 10/28/1998, Robert wrote:
>How would I backup (and restore) more than one filesystem on a single
>tape using dump.
>is this a good idea? possible? recommended?
>
>I have a 2gig hp dat drive and some small filesystems (freebsd
>2.2.5+2.2.6) I have tried doing them one after the other which seems to
>work exept when I try to restore.. it only sees the first system dumped.
>(seems logical because I would have to move the the beginning of the
>next dump to read the header info off of it) I am not sure how to do
>this ... I have looked at wt..etc.. but none seem position me at the
>next dump header record.
>
>any clues would be greatly appreciated..

This is an example (for a mail server) that I feed to a cron job:
-=-=- script dump_all -=-=-
#!/bin/sh
# @(#)dump_all  Dump all partitions

CURTIME=`/bin/date`

/bin/echo "Begining dump at $CURTIME."

/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /var/mail
/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /var
/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /
/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /usr
/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /var/spool/mqueue
/sbin/dump 0auf /dev/nrst0 /var/tmp

/usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rst0 offline

CURTIME=`/bin/date`

/bin/echo "Ending dump at $CURTIME."
-=-=- end script dump_all-=-=-

The cron command is:
dump_all 2>&1 | mail -s "Dump Log" root

---
Bob Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Ohio Northern University, Academic Computer Services, Ada, OH  45810