Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 18:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        parv_@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Battery recall affecting some Dell Inspiron 5000-series laptops

>Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:17:57 -0400
>From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>

>there are new problems w/ suspending; still figuring out the "full
>potential of apm" like closing lid, Fn keys, etc.; may need to
>visit the list(s) archives...

I somehow acquired the impression that on this particular machine, the
behavior with respect to lid closure vs. suspend mode was controllable
via ACPI, but not APM.  (I have yet to make a serious effort to get ACPI
to work; if I do so in the near term, it will be under FreeBSD
5.0-CURRENT.)  I have no objective justification for this impression at
hand, so it could well be wildly erroneous.

>didn't see anything like that even when "quite boot" was disabled;
>may or may not see while booting windows me w/o the "ms windows"
>graphic ... who knows?  btw, is there any thing like dmesg which would
>keep boot message(s) between reboots?

The message (on my laptop) appears just after the "Phoenix"
logo/splashscreen disappears, and just before the boot menu does.

>> Well, the "I5ke" undoubtedly refers to "Inspiron 5000e".  And I just
>> checked; it appears that the actual BIOS file on the floppy image I used
>> is named "38w2106a.rom".  (My machine is a Compal N38W2; during the BIOS
>> update, the message was emitted -- apparently from the "autoexec.bat"
>> file:

>> FOR USE ONLY WITH INSPIRON 5000e AND COMPAL 38W2 SYSTEMS

>> which is also somewhat suggestive.)

>the rom file created on bios floppy had name of 31w2a06a.rom;
>now working w/ your comments, would this file be for compal 31w2
>system?

So it would seem, though I don't see a machine thus designated at the
Compal Web site.  (Which is hardly conclusive; Dell may well have
requested -- and received -- some custom tweaks, as far as I know.)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.