Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:00:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      billlee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Panic on CP to MSDOS Floppy

On Sun, 12 Mar 1995, David Lim wrote:

> I usually use the following to mount the msdos disk
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0c /a
>
> I think using partition c is better. But I'm not sure. Traditionally partition
> c is the "entire" disk.

David, thanks for your feedback.

However, whether I use /dev/fd0a or /dev/fd0c in the mount command, e.g.:
   #mount -t msdos /dev/fd0c /a
when I do
   #cp -p file.name /a
I still get:
   cp: chown: /a/file.name: Invalid argument
   panic: msdosfs_unlock: denode not locked
and of course my system reboots.  (This is 2.0R and I am logged on as root.)

Cp works o.k. if I omit the -p but then of course the file copied to the
floppy has a new date/time of modification, not what I wanted.

Any ideas what's causing this?  Thanks.  <<Bill>>

Bill Lee   E-mail: billlee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
           Edmonton, Alberta, Canada