Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 09:37:47 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dwalton@psiint.com (Dave Walton)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, clary@s4.elec.uq.edu.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Honeywell 3 button mouse

Dave Walton stands accused of saying:

> What's interesting about it is the "New, patented X-Y axially-inclined
> optical encoder technology" and "The unique patented design of the
> Honeywell Mouse allows it to work on any surface at any angle - no
> special pad needed!"
>
> If you dig through that marketing hype, you get this:  It's a
> high-resolution mechanical mouse that doesn't use a ball.  That means
> that it doesn't need a special pad like an optical mouse, but it never
> ever ever needs cleaning like a ball mouse.  Quite simply, it's the best
> mouse mechanism I've ever run across.

This sounds like the round Decstation Mice (or cheeses as we called them).
Unfortunately, whilst they work fine (we also called them 4WD mice) on
really rough surfaces, they're round, so you have no idea which way
they're pointing when you grab them 8)

> Like I said above, it's the innards, not the ergonomics, that make the
> mouse so special.  This particular model was discontinued a few years ago
> when Keytronic bought the Honeywell Keyboard Division, but last fall

That explains why I couldn't get any more of the really nice Honeywell
keyboards 8(