Date:      Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:12:16 +0000
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Cc:        jahnke@fmjassoc.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox + acroread7

Eric Schuele wrote:
> Frank Jahnke wrote:
>
>> We talked about this extensively on the ports list about a month ago,
>

> I vaguely remember the thread, but could not dig it up in the archives
> for some reason.
>
>> when I saw the same thing with Epiphany on 6.0-RC1.  The conclusion was
>> that this is a bug in linuxpluginwrapper.  See:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=87404
>> To my knowledge, this has not yet been fixed.
>>

> Yes!  That's the problem exactly.  In fact I was getting the 'undefined
> symbol' error up until I changed the libmap.conf to point to where the
> nppdf.so resides.  At that point the error went away and the plugin was
> available in the about:plugins dialog.  However, the pdf fails to load.
>
> Is there in fact no known workaround?  Maybe an older version?

Ok... well.. here is my workaround.  YMMV.

In firefox:
  Edit -> preferences -> downloads -> plugins
    disable pdfs
go to download a pdf file... tell it to always automatically open with
    /usr/local/bin/acroread7

It opens in an external window, but still saves me a click or two.

Still be nice if the plugin worked.