Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 15:16:35 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1 install hangs during probe

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.990504155835.23490C-100000@bigpuppy.newell.arl
ington.va.us>, Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us> writes
>I had this happen to me.  It turned out in my case that my BIOS was using
>IRQ12 for the PCI interrupt; I changed it to IRQ11 and it worked fine.
>The problem occurred while it was probing a LinkSys Ethernet card; I
>figured THAT out 'cause when I removed the card it booted right up.

I had this problem with all versions of FreeBSD from 2.2.6 on a machine
(which has now died) at the stage where it probes for PCI. It would stay
at this screen forever. I guessed the problem may have been due to the
fact that this particular machine was non-pci (it was one of the first
486 sx-25's (8 MB RAM).

I'd still like to know what really caused it :)
--
John