Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:50:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where can i find a startup log

--- Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:12:56PM +0100, Heinrich
> Rebehn wrote:
> > Andreas Widerĝe Andersen wrote:

> FreeBSD for some years now.
> startup messages that
> kernel messages, but
>
> > >Type: dmesg or do a # more /var/log/messages
>
> > This only gives me the kernel messages, but not
> the messages from the
> > daemons (i.e. sendmail failed and stuff like that)
>
> Edit /etc/syslog.conf and uncomment the console.info
> line so that is
> looks like this:
>
>     # uncomment this to log all writes to
> /dev/console to /var/log/console.log
>     console.info
> /var/log/console.log
>
> Then:
>
>     # touch /var/log/console.log
>     # chmod 600 /var/log/console.log
>     # chown root:wheel /var/log/console/log
>     # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`
>
> This will record all of the console output from
> syslog or the kernel,
> as well as the boot messages you are interested in,
> the next time you
> reboot.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
>  26 The Paddocks
>
>  Savill Way
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey
>  Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614
>  Bucks., SL7 1TH UK

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of
> the message

I don't understand what exactly is being suggested
here.

The part I don't understand is what is being said to
done with

> Then:
>
>     # touch /var/log/console.log
>     # chmod 600 /var/log/console.log
>     # chown root:wheel /var/log/console/log
>     # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

Are you suggesting that we add those comments to the
file, which obviously does not make sense. Or are you
suggesting that we uncomment those lines, but in which
case does not make sense because those lines don't
exist in my file. Or are you suggesting that we add
those lines in uncommented form to the file.

Below is a copy of my syslog.conf file

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.13.2.3 2002/04/15
00:44:13 dougb Exp $
#
#       Spaces ARE valid field separators in this
file. However,
#       other *nix-like systems still insist on using
tabs as field
#       separators. If you are sharing this file
between systems, you
#       may want to use only tabs as field separators
here.
#       Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit
/dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages
security.*
/var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info
/var/log/auth.log
mail.info
/var/log/maillog
lpr.info
/var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*
/var/log/cron
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to
/var/log/console.log
#console.info
/var/log/console.log
# uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages
to /var/log/all.log
# touch /var/log/all.log and chmod it to mode 600
before it will work
#*.*
/var/log/all.log
# uncomment this to enable logging to a remote loghost
named loghost
#*.*
@loghost
# uncomment these if you're running inn