Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:19:17 -0400
From:      "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net>
To:        "Ben Smithurst" <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, "Sam Carleton" <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is freebsd

> > My attitude is this:  use Linux to start with because you can get up and
> > running quickly and allow you to learn the basics of UNIX.  Once you
know your
> > way around, then dive head first into FreeBSD.
>
> I've always found FreeBSD much easier and nicer than Linux.

Amen to that.

I used Linux for 3+ years before I came to know *BSD and let me tell you, I
like it better than anything I've used before.

Stability, development, speed, and administration -- all better under *BSD
(FreeBSD is what I use the most).

Personally I like the idea of the *operating system* being written by a
*central* group of people. Most people don't realize that Linux is just a
kernel, it's not really an operating system. You have 10,000 people writing
code to go into the Linux "operating system" -- some people see that as a
plus but being a developer myself, I can't see how any organization is
maintained with thousdands of people contributing code. It makes for messy,
messy end product (IE Linux)..

-Mitch