Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:02:53 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        efrenba@dhl.gcc.cu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: watchdog question.

> > On Tuesday 01 August 2006 20:39, Efren Bravo wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've a freeBSD box and I've been seeing this
> >> message for several months: sis0 watchdog
> >> timeout.
> >>
> >> The box has two ethernet cards, sis0 (100mb) and
> >> vr0 (10mb).
> >>
> >> The messages isn't frequent but yesterday it got
> >> my attention. What does this mean?
> >
> > from  sis(4)
> >      sis%d: watchdog timeout  The device has stopped responding to the
> > net-
> >      work, or there is a problem with the network connection (e.g. a cable
> >      fault).
>
> The motherboard is http://www.eprom.com/home/Microstar/ms7005.htm
>
> The PC has been up for 119 days and nobody have reported me a network
> interruption.
>
> I've just changed the cable, so I'll wait to see if the system raises more
> watchdog messages. In the console I see only two messages: april 20 | july
> 4.

It won't help.  I wouldn't waste your time if I were you.  I've dealt with
these MSI boards in the past, and they're cheap luhsuh.

Again, my understanding is that the ethernet card is crap, and occasionally
just wedges of its own accord.  After a few milliseconds, the watchdog goes
off and triggers a hardware reset.  A few packets get dropped and need
resent, but TCP is a "reliable" protocol so nobody notices.

Want to see just how bad the card is?  Do some performance tests and see how
close to the theoretical network maximum you can get on data transfers.  If
I remember correctly, we only got about 50% of was the card _should_ have
been able to accomplish.

The difference between the drivers provided by SIS and those built in to
FreeBSD is that the SiS drivers for Windows will never tell you what's going
on, whereas the FreeBSD drivers will log every time a hardware reset is
required.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.