Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:07:09 +0100
From:      Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
To:        Chris <bsd@1command.com>
Cc:        "\[FBSDS\]" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I chase 5.*4* stable?

> resulted in a quite broken (and *un*stable) 5.5-PRERELEASE

RELENG_5 is 5.x-STABLE *most* of the time. When a release is nearing,
the first few steps of preparation happen directly on the stable branch,
so it will become 5.y-PRERELEASE (and IIRC even 5.y-BETA1). Then, when
the new release gets its own branch, the stable branch will become
5.y-STABLE.

> 1)
> How can I chase 5.4-STABLE? Can I just use: *default release=cvs
> tag=RELENG_5_4
> in my stable-src-supfile and ports-supfile to accomplish this?

In your stable-src-supfile - yes, this is correct. This will give you
the 5.4 errata branch. In your ports-supfile - don't do this. Ports
should always be checked out from HEAD. There is no such thing as a
ports errata branch for a particular old release in FreeBSD. Ports from
HEAD should work on all supported (and many unsupported older) releases
of FreeBSD.

> 2)
> After a fresh install from 5.4 CD's
> cvsup with (stable) settings then a make/ install/ kernel &&
> make (build)/ install world, can I simply copy /etc/passwd && /etc/group
> *over* top of the one(s) created; there-by (safely) maintaining my current
> userbase/ permissions?

No. This is what mergemaster is for. It allows you to merge your
customized settings with whatever changes might have occurred in the
source tree.

- Bartosz