Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 23:33:37 +0200 (EET)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

In article <19981106200028.23174@follo.net> you wrote:
EE> On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 01:33:41PM -0500, David E. Cross wrote:
>>
>> Does this happen to everyone,   I personally have *never* seen it happen,
>> and I have run quite a few systems run with full memory utilization.

EE> No.  Unfortunately, we've not found any (or I at least don't know of
EE> any) common factors between all the machines that have this problem.

EE> David committed some patches a while back that he said _might_ help it
EE> - I've not yet upgraded to test this.

Unfortunately, DG's patches didn't solve the problem. May be,
there are more than one bug "contributing".

BTW, it seems that either 'make -j# buildworld' fires out more
parallel jobs than it used to, or the total system memory footprint
has increased. I mean, some three months ago my system easily
survived -j32, without daemons dying, even without 'Suggest more
swap space' -- it is for me a first sign that soon I'll have
them dying. But now it needs only -j14 to be out of swap on the
same system.

EE> Eivind.

---
Your lucky number has been disconnected.