Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:24:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft go it right ;-)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jamie Bowden wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Brooks Davis wrote:
>
> :"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not
> :have, nor do they deserve, either one"
> :                                           --Thomas Jefferson
>
> Quick comment on your .sig.  Unless Jefferson paraphrased Franklin, you've
> munged the quote and misattributed it.

They all said it, in one form or another, around the same time. I've seen
at least a dozen different versions of the above quote, but the only one
I've seen with a citation was this one:

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin.