Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:53:09 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

Well one of the good things is, you could place the linux emulator onto the
install media (if it was cd anyway) or any required software, namely the
version that was the most recent (and known to work) with the product.

What would be kinda cool would be a webboard (users helping users, or
something like that) to take load off of the support services.  At the same
time, this would promote new products by adding them to the list (Oh I
didn't know Quattro Pro was for FreeBSD! kinda thing)..

At 09:13 AM 10/28/98 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> I'm glad you think so.  I'd mentioned this idea a couple of times
>>> before, in this mailing list, and nobody even bothered to tell me
>>> I'm stupid, let alone agree.  I was beginning to feel like I was
>>> shouting into a vacuum.
>>
>> I have an issue with the install process, and with "brandelf".  I
>> think this should be done transparently.
>>
>> I suspect this means providing a FreeBSD installer for the product,
>> and trying to convince them to ship the installer with their
>> software (most desirable), or provide it on their site (less
>> desirable, since the program won't install "out of the box"
>> that way).
>
>Good point.  This would also include documentation on how to install
>for FreeBSD, as well as any special things needed ("In order to run
>YoyoFloop on your FreeBSD system, you must have installed the Linux
>emulator").  But I don't think it should be a condition of
>certification ("Certified at class 2 for use with FreeBSD" :-)
>
>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998