Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 06:04:37 -0700
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-friendly laptop suggestions, but wait there's more...

List,

Does anyone know of a laptop, preferably an older model so it's
inexpensive, (It doesn't have to be very fast.), that is:

1) FreeBSD friendly.
2) Isn't a portable skillet?
3) Is physically sturdy. Not bulletproof, but not creaking, sagging plastic.

Every laptop I've used in the past has had terrible overheating
problems. If one places a 'laptop' in their lap, it overheats,
possibly burning the legs of the operator with prolonged use. I want a
laptop, not a laptop attached to a desk or a board with fans in it, or
the need to hunt down a desk so I can set my laptop on the desktop,
effectively creating a desktop. I want to be able to set the laptop on
top of my lap. (Hard to imagine.)

The last laptop I had was a gateway, which when held by the corner
would creak and sag and overheated constantly. The Toshiba was
sturdier, but had equally atrocious ventilation and overheating
problems.

I was originally thinking about a thinkpad, like a T20 or T30, but
word on the street is that thinkpads overheat too?

Does such a thing exist?
-Modulok-