Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:34:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        dmeleaso@bw.edu (Dan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need info on FreeBSD

> <snip>
> > Could you please answer the following questions ASAP:
> >
> > 1-What are the top three differences between FreeBSD,QNX and WinNT?

Dunno.

> > 2-Is FreeBSD better than Linux or QNX?

FreeBSD is stabler and has better support.

> > 3-What are the fees and costs related with FreeBSD (License cost? What about Dev tools?)

FreeBSD is absolutely free.  It comes with source.  Devel tools are also
free.

> > 4-Is the Kernel code available for modifications?

Yes, under the BSD license.  It is at
http://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/

(-current version)

> > 5-Is it a tough OS to learn for an experienced Embedded C/C++ Programmer?

If you know UNIX no.

> > 6-Can it run on any platform?

Only on Intel.  For multiple platforms see OpenBSD
(http://www.OpenBSD.ORG/)

> > 7-Can we use TCP/IP networking with it?

Yes, alot of server run FreeBSD.

> > 8-Can we program our own GUI interface?

If it runs on any other BSD system, most likely.

gcc is avalible from GNU for free. (http://www.GNU.org/)

> > 10-Who uses FreeBSD and what is a popular FreeBSD application?

A server.  Many server ru FreeBSD.  Yahoo! did, and maybe still does.  I'm
not sure.

> > Thanks,
> >

>   Try the web page: www.FreeBSD.org

Good idea.

> Dan
>

> 	Non sum qualis eram. Tempus edax rerum.

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

Microsoft: How long do you want to wait today?
FreeBSD Rules!  Micro$oft Sucks!  http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/