Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:02:50 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        "Scott A. Moberly" <smoberly@karamazov.org>
Cc:        SoHo@admin.fido.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapicam in 4.8-PRERELEASE

Quoting Scott A. Moberly (smoberly@karamazov.org):

> >> No problem.

> >> Nope I think I got it.

> >> due to atapicam in your KERNEL config

> >> due to atapicd in you KERNEL config

> >> right?
> >>
> >> When using atapicam, yes.
> > what do you mean? booting with a kernel that has option atapicam ?
>
> Yes

> >> Incorrect, acd?c is still available with atapicd in the kernel config

> >> cd0 be my CDRW?
> >>
> >> Yes; however, acd0 will also be seen in your dmesg.  Not a problem,
> >> like I said in a previous post as long as you access only one of the
> >> devices, i.e /dev/acd0c or /dev/cd0 at a time.  You can remove the
> >> atapicd to minimize this risk, of course.
> >>
> >> Hope this is a little more clear.
> > thanks for taking the time Scott :) but I still can't get the image.. I
> > am aware that acd?c still shows up in my dmesg because I have both
> > options in my kernel. let me make this less painful :)..
> > how, what is the command that I can use to eject/load my parallel
> > device, which shows as: cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
> > cd0: <LG CD-ROM CRD-8521B 1.00> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> > cd0: 16.000MB/s transfers
> > cd0: cd present [183123 x 2048 byte records]
>
> Now, I'm confused; I though this did it?

> Are we speaking of an entirely different device then "LG CD-ROM CRD-8521B
> 1.00" at /dev/cd0 ?

yes :)
I have an LG 52x which is not "Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device" as the dmesg claims, and another Backpack cd-rewriter connected to the parallel port of my box, but I dont see this detected at anytime of the boot..

> > I dont see any signs in my dmesg that says "CDR/CDRW. I dont know, I'm a
> > bit confused here.. I've seen already other people's dmesg, and it shows
> > their CDRW in dmesg
>
> I'm not usually too concerned about the Manufacturer's details about the
> device.  (The string you are referring to.)  You can actually test the
> device, i.e. make a coaster. Or,
> use:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus # to find the device
>
> # and
>
> cdrecord -prcap dev=x,y,z # to see the actual capabilities
>
> I'm of course assuming you want to use cdrecord rather then burncd,
> otherwise why
> bother with atapicam at all :D...

I thought that atapicam = scsi emulation for parallel devices thru CAM? or I got this wrong? :)
I'm talking about a CDRW on my parallel port..

I need to burn FreeBSD 5 and install it on an Ultra-10 d*mmit :)
my other fellows "Linux admins" are making fun of how I will return to them to burn a copy of FreeBSD on their Linux boxes :/ hehe.
so PLEASE HELP lol

btw, how can I use burncd on the "undetected" device? :)

> --
> Scott A. Moberly
> smoberly@karamazov.org
>
> He hadn't a single redeeming vice.
> 	-- Oscar Wilde

Edmond Baroud
UNIX Systems Admin             mailto:SoHo@admin.fido.ca
Fingerprint  140F 5FD5 3FDD 45D9 226D  9602 8C3D EAFB 4E19 BEF9
"UNIX is very user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."