Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:44:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Seth wrote:
>
> > Um, hold on.  I submitted many dead link notifications, along with
> > suggested fixes in some cases.  The problem is that (to my knowledge) the
> > source wasn't available via CVS, so I couldn't submit diffs easily.
> > (Viewing source from within a browser and then submitting diffs on that is
> > not my definition of "easy".)
>
> Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch, that's all you're doing.. Whether or not it
> was in CVS has no effect on how easy it is to submit diffs.  cp is not
> *that* hard to use.

Actually, I wasn't bitching, I was making an observation that getting
changes made wasn't easy, and relied on several choke points.  I think
it's exceedingly unfair to call this complaining... I'm not.  I'm just
pointing out (as I did to the maintainers) one of the problems I saw with
the old site, and offering a way to avoid repeating it in the future.

> For example:
>
> fetch http://advocacy.freebsd.org/foo.html
> cp foo.html foo.html.old
> $EDITOR foo.html
> diff -u foo.html.old foo.html > foo.html.diffs.for.the.site
> rm foo.html*
>
> Gosh that was *so* hard.  In fact I bet someone with a bit more awk
> expertise could create a more automated sh script.

Actually, yes, it *is* that hard.  I can't use fetch due to firewall
restrictions on User-Agent (don't ask; I can't/won't give more detail).
In addition, what assurances did I have that any diffs submitted were
going to get better treatment than the other "pr's" I sent?  Even the ones
whose diffs were not necessary (due to the problem being obvious) weren't
fixed.

Again, not laying blame.  But if we're going to do it over, we might as
well try to improve upon the process.

> >  Thus, folks were relegated to notification only, with no fixes.
>
> Uh, yeah.  Right.  It's *all* their fault.  Not the fault of the lazy
> masses.

Be careful who you're accusing of being lazy.  In this case, you may well
succeed in alienating any potential contributors.  Volunteering works both
ways.

> - alex
>
> Experience something different
> With our new imported dolly