Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 02:25:03 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/27784: Maintainer volunteer && update: java/jdk-doc

Ernst de Haan wrote:

> Doug,
>
> > Your port was committed with some improvements. Most notably, please
> > learn how to use portlint, and always sort your plist. That makes it
> > much much easier to diff down the road, and keeps the diffs small.
>
> Sorry, but your 'improvements' broke the port.

	You are correct, I just committed the fix. I tested everything else after
my changes, and assumed (foolishly) that this would work as well. My
apologies.

> This is not my first port, and I *do* know how to use portlint.

	Ok, I'll take that at face value, but you missed the warnings about the
problems possible when defining DISTFILES with only one file. I generally
use 'portlint -abct', which tends to be a little _too_ picky, but also
points out good stuff.

> I also know about a few quirks, one of them
> being that I need to define DISTFILES and not just DISTNAME if I want to check
> if the file to be downloaded exists and otherwise print a message.

	That's not necessarily true. :) Take a look at the fix I just committed.
Remember, less is more.

> Next time when taking over a port I will regenerate the pkg-plist file, as you
> suggested.

	Great, thanks.

--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?