Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:52:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ApplixWare vs. StarOffice

We're drifting a bit here but what the heck ;-)

Anyone out there tried ApplixWare and StarOffice and have any opinions?
I'm in desperate need of a word processor and don't want to clog my laptop
with MicroSlop Word while I'm trying to sell it.

My previous experience with the StarOffice betas was not enjoyable.  The
installation was confusing and some features were broken for the English
case, such as the SmartQuotes.  (There are no separate `` and ''
characters in the X font set, but it does have the German << and >>.)  I
also had trouble with it crashing intermittiently and with graphics
artifacts and a generally unstable interface.

ApplixWare is cheap for students ($80!) and apparently has a nice word
processor and spreadsheet modules.

Presentation graphics is nice but not necessary.  The word processor is
the priority.

Thanks for any insight or recommendations to forward to -chat.  :-)